Saturday, May 4, 2013

Week 3- MTC: New P-Day and an E-mail :)

Jeff sent me a note this morning saying that his P-Day has been changed to Saturday. So for the next few weeks while he is in the MTC, we will be getting his e-mails on Saturday. Here's his e-mail for this week:

     It has almost been a month since have been at the MTC. Weird, right? Pretty soon I'm going to be a field missionary! For now I am trying my best to make an impact on the lives of my "investigators." It is a little bit difficult sometimes, but that is normal. It doesn't matter what we were or what we were good at before we decided to be missionaries, even if we were good at teaching. None of us have ever been missionaries before, and I promise, the experience is both very humbling and very rewarding.

     So usually when we teach people, it is one of our teachers acting as somebody important to them in their lives. For example, my awesome teacher Brother Avila portrayed his brother, Josue. I love teaching them but I always feel a little let down when the lesson is over and I am reminded that I'm not really teaching "Josue" or "Antonio." But now we have been introduced to something called the TRC, or the Training Resource Center. The task is to go and teach member volunteers who are literally just themselves, there is no acting going on at all.

     Last week during TRC my companion and I had the opportunity to teach a middle aged woman named Sister Rice. We were talking to her about prayer and I felt like I should share with her two verses that had been very important to me. First was Ether 12:6 with defines faith. It says "faith is things which are hoped for but not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of you faith." I described to her that faith is a principle of action and power and we must not be afraid to change for the truths we discover as we act on our faith. I then shared the scripture Alma 36:3 which says, "whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day." In summary, if we have faith, we need to act on it in order to overcome difficulties in our lives, and if we do so sincerely, God will support us through whatever hardship we are facing as we learn to trust in Him and His love for us. Immediately Hermana Rice started tearing up and told us that what we said complemented the last two lessons she had gotten that day and had answered a question she had for 25 years.

     This is the reason why I love what I am doing. I am not even out of the MTC and I already know that I am helping others in their lives. That is the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I challenge all of you to trust in God and act on your faith in whatever way you can. It doesn't matter what kind of problems you have, all can find joy when we turn to Christ.

I love you all and miss you all!

Ether 12:4

Elder Jeff Bromley

No comments:

Post a Comment