Monday, April 7, 2014

Week 51- Huanta, Ayacucho, Peru: One Year Ya

This last General Conference was amazing. I hope that everybody was able to see at least one of the sessions, and I am happy for those of you who attended all 5 (4). I'm sure that those who opened their ears, hearts, and minds were able to be spiritually edified.

In Huanta, we were able to see conference straight in the chapel; it was a great blessing. The audio kept freezing as the picture proceeded, so the voices didn't always match the faces, but it was a great oportunity to learn patience. Elder Riveros and I sat ourselves near the podeum so that we could fix the computer every time it froze up; at first it was stressful but at the end I was at peace and also learning all that I could from our leaders. It truly was a very inspired conference, which is normal, but the Spirit in the talks was so immense.

After the conference, I was surprised when one of the members started complaining and insulting the bishop and us for the faulty connection. Immediately came into my mind the talk of Jeffrey R Holland about the longsuffering of Christ. Although this member was loosing his temper I remained calm and disciplined my response, "we just needed to learn patience."

Everybody, to what avail do we listen to conference if we are so quick to forget its teachings? Please, use this spirit to liken these things to youselves. Remember that our learning isn't so much like the filling of a cup as it is the kindling of a fire. You put a cup under a faucet until it's full, and soon enough it is completley dry again. A fire requires constant fuel which we supply, and grows as we feed it; just as a fire we kindle, our learning only has the limits we give it. It is often said that things that don't change remain the same, but that is not true.

Nefi explains this concept very well.

"For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, herea little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that recieveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have." (2 Nefi 28:30)

Keep the fire burning. Be patient with others and love at all times. Never complain so that you can be happier, and always pull away from every situation what God has intended for you to learn.

Elder Bromley

Another cake from Milagros 

A packet of Taco Bell seasoning that Jeff's sister Melanie sent to him- they used it to make Mexican food as a zone 

No comments:

Post a Comment