Monday, August 4, 2014

Week 68- Villa María, Lima, Peru: Villa María

This week was nice, we were working super hard to get everyone to understand how church attendance creates conversion. We were able to see 8 investigators at church Sunday, which makes me happy, but there is still a lot more work to do here. We are going to have a baptism next week and plan on putting up more fechas. Villa Maria is a great place, we are going to help the ward council with their retention efforts so it becomes better. I'm not quite sure who my next companion will be, but we will not slow down in this area.

Next week we will baptize a man named Jose Antonio. He's an awesome computer gaming part time wood edging maker. I will send pictures next week.

A spiritual experience this week, Elder Topham and I were teaching a less active woman whose mom recertly had passed away. I shared a scripture with her, in John 14, Christ said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

She then asked what that meant, and without thinking I opened my mouth and related to her a story from Pisco. There was a young woman who was passing through many difficult circumstances in her life. To forget her troubles, she would go out and drink and party with her friends saying that it made her forget. Coming to a realization that those feelings only masked her deeper feelings, she broke down. Eler Mera and I then invited her to pray and with some encouragement, offered a very sincere prayer. The room was then quiet and warm, and she realized that God's love renews the heart in times of trouble while other efforts may harden it.

I invite all to open up the scriptures, offer a silent, sincere prayer, and also to have your family home evenings tonight. The word of God heals the scarred soul and enlightens the soul. So do it!

I love and miss you all!

Elder Bromley

Lots of pictures this week! (Captions by Elder Bromley)
The Mountain of the Cross

Ceviche de pota with the district

Ceviche de pota
 
About to play volley and mata gente (Peruvian dodgeball)

My comp almost ate it in mud

We climbed a mountain for morning exercise
 
Elder Topham

Villa María from the mountain

Dinner

Villa María at night

No comments:

Post a Comment