Thursday, April 25, 2013

Week 2- MTC: Perfect Love Casteth Out All Fear

It is absolutely crazy how fast time is flying here at the MTC! Everyday I hear at least one thing that is completely eye-opening to me about something I thought I already understood; I feel so blessed to be here.

So the first couple weeks, as fun as they were, also came with a lot of stress. The saying that God knows how to humble His people rings true almost everyday here. Needless to say, everyone in my district was feeling a little bit shaky after a few of our lessons with our investigator. The Elders and I gave some blessings of comfort and we were all able to grow much closer as not only a district, but as hermanos y hermanas in a family. It was really cool and I love being able to serve each and every one of them. The next day, Richard G. Scott came to speak for our Tuesday devotional and it was exactly what we all needed to hear. He comforted every missionary in the MTC with his message and even blessed us foreign language missionaries to "master the language." He also said that "the Lord has called us to succeed, not to fail. He will not abandon you. He will fit the task to your abilities." After that talk, my district has been doing great and we're advancing very rapidly through our Spanish lessons and learning how to be better missionaries as we teach our investigators.

One more quick story: I remember some advice my dad gave me before I left which I didn't quite understand at first. He said, "love the Peruvians and it will all go well." I had no doubt that I would love the people in Peru, but I wasn't sure why it was among the small bits of advice I recieved. Then last Sunday my companion and I were teaching at our District Meeting about recognizing the spirit. We asked the class to list "spirit inhibitors" and as they did I'd write them on the board. Out of random inspiration I decided to ask then which Christlike attributes cancelled out which stressors. As we proceeded down the list, I got to the word "fear." Remembering incompletely a scripture about love and fear, I asked if anyone knew what it was. One of the Sisters said it aloud, "Fear not...for perfect love casteth out all fear." (Moroni 8:16)

Every one of us missionaries can't help but be a little anxious about the near future, especially while planning or giving lessons to investigators. But that fear will only get in the way of our ability to "teach them," since the Spirit is what actually teaches them. We all need to realize why we do what we do. The Gospel is SO important to me and I want to bring its message to the world. I know I don't speak well and I cannot speak the language all too well, but as long as I act in my love for my investigators, God will handle the rest. It's not about learning the Spanish language, it's about learning the language of the heart, and if I can speak through my love for my fellow beings, what is there to fear?

I love you all and miss you all! I'm alive and well so don't worry! I'll write you again soon!

Alma 36:3 

Elder Jeff Bromley

No comments:

Post a Comment